News Article
From Times of Zambia - Africa News
HEADLINE:
Zambia; Ndola Anti-Malaria Drive Yields Positive Results
DATELINE: January 4, 2000
BYLINE: Times Reporter, Times of Zambia (Lusaka)
Lusaka - The multi-million Kwacha anti-malaria campaign which kicked off in
Ndola early last year has had remarkable results.
Ndola City Council spokesman Mumbuna Kufekisa said yesterday because of the
encouraging results, the sponsors Bwana Mkubwa Mine had pledged to pump more
money into the project. Bwana Mkubwa has spent more than K100 million on the
project for materials and other costs while the council has been providing
labour and transport.
The company has pledged to release a further K60 million for the second
phase of
the drive. Half of the dambos which the council had identified across the city
as notorious breeding grounds for mosquitoes had been sprayed with
insecticide.
"We are happy with the results the campaign has scored. So far, we have
destroyed 50 per cent of major breeding grounds for mosquitoes," Mr. Kufekisa
said.
The council had embarked on the project after studies showed that malaria was
responsible for most of the deaths recorded in the city. So far, all the
dambos
in high cost residential areas including Itawa, Kansenshi, Northrise and
Kanini
had been sprayed. Meanwhile, the Ndola City Council has discovered an anomaly
where more than 30 apartments at the Itawa complex are not on the computer
roll.
Mr. Kufekisa said yesterday the affected tenants had been given a period in
which to settle their outstanding arrears. He also disclosed that the council
had identified a number of people at the Itawa council flats who were running
shebeens and hair salons illegally.
"We have also ordered two people who are illegally operating two containers as
groceries at the Itawa council flats to remove them," Mr. Kufekisa said.
He said
the council had managed very well to remove street vendors and would not allow
people to start vending at the flats.
The council has also warned of evictions to tenants owing more than K85
million
in rent arrears at the flats and the Masala Chinese housing complex. Mr.
Kufekisa said yesterday that the defaulters would soon be kicked out.
He said council houses were still the cheapest in comparison to other
organisations. Council tenants were only required to pay K50,000 for a three
bed-roomed house and K40,000 for a two bedroomed house in Masala complex.
The council is owed more than K60 million in rent arrears at the Itawa council
flats alone.
Back to Press Releases
|
|